Liuzzi takes pole on his A1GP debut
By Andrew van de Burgt
Vitantonio Liuzzi, Team Italy, Algarve A1GP 2009Force India test driver Vitantonio Liuzzi claimed Team Italy's first-ever A1GP pole position on his series debut at the impressive Algarve circuit.
Liuzzi used his power boost to great effect to storm to the top of the times in sprint race qualifying, denying weekend pace-setter Robert Doornbos (Team Netherlands) his first A1 pole in the process. But the Dutchman fought back impressively to claim the top spot for the feature race.
Championship leader Team Switzerland endured a tough session. Driver Neel Jani failed to set a time in sprint race qualifying after a red flag caused him to run out of time in the opening segment, while a technical problem stopped the his car on track in the second. He will start the sprint from 20th and last.
But Jani recovered brilliantly, despite missing the first feature race segment, to charge into third on the grid for tomorrow's second race with his only flying lap.
Title challenger Team Ireland will line up third for the sprint and second in the feature with Adam Carroll, while Team Portugal's Filipe Albuquerque starts fifth and seventh at home.
Team Lebanon's Daniel Morad used his power boost in sprint race qualifying to take a great fourth, while Adrian Zaugg handed South Africa its best qualifying performance of the season with fourth in feature race qualifying.
Great Britain's Dan Clarke will start 13th in the sprint and 16th in the feature. Sprint race grid:
1. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy 1m30.875s
2. Robert Doornbos Netherlands 1m31.346s + 0.471s
3. Adam Carroll Ireland 1m31.600s + 0.725s
4. Daniel Morad Lebanon 1m31.756s + 0.881s
5. Filipe Albuquerque Portugal 1m31.777s + 0.902s
6. Earl Bamber New Zealand 1m32.006s + 1.131s
7. Andre Lotterer Germany 1m32.084s + 1.209s
8. Adrian Zaugg South Africa 1m32.301s + 1.426s
9. Narain Karthikeyan India 1m32.358s + 1.483s
10. Clivio Piccione Monaco 1m32.420s + 1.545s
11. Fairuz Fauzy Malaysia 1m32.929s + 2.054s
12. Marco Andretti USA 1m33.214s + 2.339s
13. Dan Clarke Great Britain 1m33.860s + 2.985s
14. Felipe Guimaraes Brazil 1m33.985s + 3.110s
15. Zahir Ali Indonesia 1m34.005s + 3.130s
16. Salvador Duran Mexico 1m34.216s + 3.341s
17. John Martin Australia 1m34.405s + 3.530s
18. Nicolas Prost France 1m36.567s + 5.692s
19. Ho-Pin Tung China 1m36.838s + 5.963s
20. Neel Jani Switzerland - Feature race grid:
1. Robert Doornbos Netherlands 1m30.415s
2. Adam Carroll Ireland 1m30.696s + 0.281s
3. Neel Jani Switzerland 1m30.878s + 0.463s
4. Adrian Zaugg South Africa 1m30.984s + 0.569s
5. Felipe Guimaraes Brazil 1m31.023s + 0.608s
6. Fairuz Fauzy Malaysia 1m31.025s + 0.610s
7. Filipe Albuquerque Portugal 1m31.095s + 0.680s
8. Marco Andretti USA 1m31.459s + 1.044s
9. Clivio Piccione Monaco 1m31.495s + 1.080s
10. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy 1m31.852s + 1.437s
11. Earl Bamber New Zealand 1m31.925s + 1.510s
12. John Martin Australia 1m31.939s + 1.524s
13. Salvador Duran Mexico 1m32.031s + 1.616s
14. Andre Lotterer Germany 1m32.269s + 1.854s
15. Daniel Morad Lebanon 1m32.352s + 1.937s
16. Dan Clarke Great Britain 1m32.400s + 1.985s
17. Narain Karthikeyan India 1m32.504s + 2.089s
18. Zahir Ali Indonesia 1m32.573s + 2.158s
19. Nicolas Prost France 1m32.941s + 2.526s
20. Ho-Pin Tung China 1m33.237s + 2.822s